Requirements From Other Jurisdictions

Federal Requirements

Your project near water must comply with federal legislation, including:

Provincial and Territorial Requirements

Your project near water could require separate permits or approvals from your provincial or territorial government. Provinces and territories may also require an environmental assessment of your project. Please contact the appropriate provincial or territorial agency for more information.


Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development

British Columbia

British Columbia Ministry of Environment Water Stewardship Division
FrontCounter BC
British Columbia Ministry of Environment Riparian Areas Regulation


Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship

New Brunswick

New Brunswick Environment and Local Government
New Brunswick Natural Resources

Newfoundland and Labrador

The Department of Environment and Conservation

Northwest Territories

Gwich'in Land and Water Board
Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board
Northwest Territories Water Board
Sahtu Land and Water Board
Wek'eezhii Land and Water Board

Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources
Nova Scotia Environment


Nunavut Planning Commission
Nunavut Water Board


Conservation Ontario: Conservation Authorities
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island Department of Environment, Labour and Justice


Ministère du Développement durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (French only)


Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment
Saskatchewan Water Security Agency


Yukon Energy, Mines and Resources
Yukon Placer Secretariat
Yukon Water Board

Municipal Requirements

Your project near water should meet any applicable municipal requirements in your area. Please contact your local municipality for more information.