Step 6: Site Reclassification
The objective of Step 6 is to confirm the site classification performed in Step 4, or to reclassify a site based on the data obtained during Step 5. This step is required in order to obtain additional FCSAP funding, or to access remaining funding. If a site is deemed contaminated (i.e., there is a risk to human health or the environment), then continue to Step 7: Develop Risk Management Strategy.
How to Prepare
- Review previous Aquatic Sites Classification System (ASCS) or National Classification System for Contaminated Sites (NCSCS) scoring.
- Conduct a detailed review of all the new results and data collected in Step 5.
- Conduct a site visit to address specific issues.
What to Do
- Complete Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs): Phase I, II, and III if not already completed.
- Complete the NCSCS or ASCS.
- Consider the components/process of an Ecological Risk Assessment (ERA).
How Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) Expert Support Helps
- Review relevant (i.e., fish and fish habitat) components of the NCSCS or ASCS classification scores and associated reports.
- Provide training resources (such as the FCSAP Aquatic Sites Classification System Detailed User Guidance Manual) and provide advice on the submission score.
- Provide assistance in applying the Framework for Addressing and Managing Aquatic Contaminated Sites Under the FCSAP.
- Assist in the interpretation of the detailed sampling (Step 5) and ERA process.
- A Federal Approach to Contaminated Sites [PDF 276 KB]
- Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment (CCME) - Guidance on Sampling, Analysis, and Data Management for Contaminated Sites - Volume I: Main Report [PDF 5.74 MB]
- CCME - Guidance Manual on Sampling, Analysis, and Data Management for Contaminated Sites - Volume II: Analytical Method Summaries [PDF 8.45 MB]
- CCME - National Classification System for Contaminated Sites (NCSCS) - Guidance Document [PDF 567 KB]
- CCME - NCSCS Spreadsheet
- CCME - Sediment Quality
- CCME - Water Quality Guidelines
- FCSAP Aquatic Sites Classification System (ASCS)
- FCSAP Ecological Risk Assessment Guidance
- Framework for Addressing and Managing Aquatic Contaminated Sites Under the FCSAP
- Pathways of Effects (PoE)
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) Guidance
- Phase II ESA Guidance
- Program Management Funding - Eligible Activities and Costs
- Projects Near Water - Self-Assessment: Does DFO need to review my project?
- Reviews and authorizations – Request for Review – Form and Guidance
- Date modified: