Archived – Canadian Coast Guard's "Hero Class" Of Vessels
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
February 10, 2011
The Government of Canada has announced that the Canadian Coast Guard’s nine new Mid-Shore Patrol Vessels will be named after heroic Canadians who put their duty ahead of their safety in service to our country.
The vessels are currently under construction in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and are expected to enter service by 2013. They will be named:
- CCGS Caporal Kaeble V.C., after the late Corporal Joseph Kaeble, V.C.
- CCGS Private Robertson V.C., after the late Private James Peter Robertson, V.C.
- CCGS Corporal Teather C.V., after Corporal Robert Gordon Teather, C.V
- CCGS Constable Carrière, after Constable J.L. François Carrière
- CCGS G. Peddle, after Canadian Coast Guard Chief Officer Gregory Paul Peddle, S.C
- CCGS Corporal McLaren M.M.V., after Corporal Mark Robert McLaren, M.M.V.
- CCGS A. LeBlanc, after Fishery Officer Agapit LeBlanc
- CCGS M. Charles, after Seaman Martin Charles, M.B.
- CCGS Captain Goddard M.S.M., after Captain Nichola Kathleen Sarah Goddard, M.S.M.
Mid-Shore Patrol "Hero Class" Vessels Naming Ceremony
- Government of Canada Dedicates New Coast Guard Vessels in Remembrance of War Heroes - November 10, 2010 (Brantford, Ontario)
- Government of Canada Moves Ahead with Construction of New Mid-Shore Patrol Vessels - September 2, 2010 (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Minister Shea Leads Purchase of Nine New Coast Guard Vessels - September 2, 2009 (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
In the Media:
Ships Named for Fallen Heroes
The Barrie Examiner
Coast Guard boat to honour slain Bouctouche man
Times & Transcript (Moncton, NB)
Coast guard ship to be named for late Capt. Nicola Goddard
iNews880.com (Edmonton, AB)
Fallen “heroes” to get nautical namesakes
Vancouver Sun (blog)
Families of fallen heroes 'honoured'
Hommage à des héros
Coast guard work saves Island firm from shutdown
Times Colonist - January 21, 2011
Feds Give $194M to build ships
Moncton Times & Transcript – September 3, 2009
Coast Guard to be beefed up with nine new ships
Globe and Mail – September 3, 2009
CPAC Video Clip
- Date modified: