On June 29, 2012, the Fisheries Act was amended. Policy and regulations are now being developed to support the new fisheries protection provisions of the Act (which are not yet in force). The existing guidance and policies continue to apply. For more information, see Changes to the Fisheries Act.
Why We Do It
The Habitat Management Program will be a leader in the conservation and protection of Canada's fish habitat resource, in support of DFO's strategic priority to contribute towards healthy and productive aquatic ecosystems.
The Program will achieve its Vision by
- Being effective in achieving its legislative and policy objectives, and efficient in carrying out its responsibilities;
- Creating a program culture that contributes to sustainable development by recognizing the interdependence of social, environmental and economic objectives;
- Being transparent, timely and predictable in its decision making;
- Serving Canadians by focusing on their priorities and in partnership with others;
- Being guided by the values of professional competence, financial probity, loyalty to government priorities and decisions, respect, and fairness to staff, stakeholders and the public; and,
- Being dedicated to the principle of continuous improvement through adaptive management, as well as forward and innovative thinking to achieve its objectives.