Sustainable Fish and Seafood
Canada is a world leader in the sustainable management of fisheries and aquaculture. We have a world-wide reputation for safe, wholesome fish and seafood products.
Canadian fish and seafood is:
- Sustainably managed, based on the most current science: Fisheries and Oceans Canada is responsible for developing and maintaining the regulatory framework that ensures sustainable fisheries and sustainable aquaculture and supports healthy and productive ecosystems, now and in the future.
- Responsibly regulated and produced
- Certified and traceable
- Inspected and controlled: Canada has one of the world’s most respected fish inspection and control systems. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) develops and verifies compliance with appropriate product and process standards that contribute to the acceptable quality, safety and identity of fish and seafood products that are processed in federal establishments or imported into Canada.
- Safe and wholesome
- Officially certified for export: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is responsible for regulating the export of fish and seafood products. To be eligible for export, fish and seafood destined for human consumption must originate from a registered fish processing establishment and meet defined standards.
- Export-ready with over 75 species to choose from: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) provides export market-development support for Canada's fish and seafood.
Fish and seafood is one of the largest food sectors exported by Canada and we are committed to the sustainability of this valuable natural resource. Learn more Facts on Canadian Fisheries and more details on our growing aquaculture industry.
- Date modified: