Facts on Canadian Fisheries
Fish and seafood is one of the largest food sectors exported by Canada and Fisheries and Oceans Canada is committed to the sustainability of this valuable natural resource.
Did you know?
- Canada exported $6 billion in fish and seafood in 2015.
- Approximately 85% of all fish and seafood landed by Canadian harvesters is exported.
- Canada’s most valuable exports by species in 2015 were lobster, snow (queen) crab, farmed Atlantic salmon and shrimp.
- The aquaculture industry generates over $1 billion in GDP and 14,000 job opportunities in direct and indirect employment.
- Aquaculture is the fastest growing food production activity in the world.
- Lobster remains Canada’s top export species in terms of value, with 2015 exports of over $2 billion.
- Approximately 76,000 Canadians make their living directly from fishing and fishing-related activities.
For more detailed statistics on the Canadian fish and seafood sector, including commercial fisheries landings, recreational fishing, aquaculture production and international trade (imports/exports), please visit DFO’s Statistical Services.
- Date modified: