Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) enforces the Fisheries Act and other regulations and legislation. Enforcement activities are carried out by fishery officers across Canada. They conduct regular patrols on land and sea as well as in the air.
Have you witnessed a fisheries violation? Report a fisheries violation through provincial, territorial or federal telephone numbers.
Enforcement activities and reports
Check out DFO’s enforcement activities, recruitment information and compulsory reporting.
- Fisheries Act convictions
- Review the up-to-date list of convictions under the Fisheries Act, organized by region.
- High-seas monitoring
- Learn how fishery officers monitor and inspect international vessels beyond the 200-mile limit in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
- Fishery officer recruitment
- Find out what's involved in becoming a fishery officer.
- Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization citations
- Check the citations issued by DFO inspectors to vessels fishing in the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization (NAFO) Regulatory Area.
- Combatting marine litter: Ghost gear
Annual reports on the use of law enforcement justification provisions
The following is a list of DFO’s compulsory reporting on specific actions.
Fishing regulations and requirements
Before you go fishing, make sure you know the rules for:
- Date modified: