Atlantic Salmon Newfoundland & Labrador – in season review
Dates of season (subject to change)
|Zones 3 - 8||Cape Bauld to Cape Race||June 1||Sept. 7|
|Zones 9 - 12||Cape Race to Cape Ray||June 1||Sept. 7|
|Zone 13||Cape Ray to Cape St. Gregory||June 1||Sept. 7|
|Zone 14A||Cape St. Gregory to Cape Bauld||June 1||Sept. 7|
|Zone 14B||L’Anse au Clair to Cape Charles||June 15||Sept. 15|
|Zones 1 and 2||Labrador North and East||June 15||Sept. 15|
|Fall angling||Gander River, Exploits River, Humber River||Sept. 8||Oct. 7|
Note: Some individual rivers may have different opening and closing dates. Check the watershed management plans section in the 2018-2019 Angler’s Guide for details. For a complete description of Zones, see the map insert included in the 2018-2019 Angler’s Guide.
As a result of the in-season review of salmon returns, the management approach for the remainder of the season for insular Newfoundland is as follows:
- no retention of salmon will be permitted, effective one hour after sunset on July 20, 2018
- catch and release angling only on all rivers effective one hour before sunrise on July 21, 2018
- rivers will close to all angling when water temperatures exceed 18 degrees celsius
As a result of the in-season review of salmon returns, as of July 24, the management approach for the remainder of the season for Labrador is as follows:
- No retention of salmon will be permitted, effective one hour after sunset on August 3, 2018
- Tag 1 is valid until one hour after sunset on August 3, 2018
- Catch and Release angling only on all rivers, effective one hour before sunrise on August 4, 2018
- Rivers will close to all angling when water temperatures exceed 18 degrees Celsius.
Catch and release limits remain at 3 fish per day for all rivers in Newfoundland and Labrador. Retention of salmon on non-scheduled waters is not permitted.
Details on the regulations pertaining to bag limits, river classification, closed areas and special management areas are contained in the 2018 - 2019 Angler’s Guide.
- Date modified: