Terms of Reference
Meeting of the Newfoundland and Labrador Regional Advisory Process (RAP) on 3Ps Cod
October 25 to November 5, 2010 - St. John's NL
The status of Subdivision 3Ps cod was last assessed in 2009. The current assessment is requested by Fisheries and Aquaculture Management to provide the Minister with detailed advice on the status of the stock and the implications of a possible cod fishery on this stock in 2010.
Objectives for the 3Ps Cod Assessment:
- Assess and report on the current status of the 3Ps cod stock. In particular, assess current spawning biomass, total (age 3+) biomass, exploitation rate, natural mortality and biological characteristics (including age composition, size at age, age at maturity, and distribution). Describe these variables in relation to historic observations.
- Further to the previous assessment, analyze the year classes subsequent to the relatively strong year classes of 1997, 1998 and 2006 as it relates to the long term growth and sustainability of the stock.
- To the extent possible with available information, provide information on the strengths of year-classes expected to enter the exploitable populations in the next 1-3 years.
- Highlight major sources of uncertainty in the assessment, and where appropriate, consider alternative analytical formulations of the assessment.
- Assess the implications on the stock by fishing at selected TAC levels: 10,000 t, 11,500 t, 13,000 t, and 15,000 t.
- Report on results of tagging and the distribution of this stock in other areas (eg.3L/3Pn).
A science advisory report (SAR), proceedings report, and associated research documents will be produced as a result of this meeting.
DFO Science NL Region and other Regions
DFO Fisheries and Aquaculture Management
Provincial Department of Aquaculture (DFA)