Gulf Region Science Advisory Process on Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence Herring (NAFO Division 4T)
Terms of Reference
Gulf Fisheries Centre
343 University Avenue, Moncton (NB)
March 9-10, 2010
Chairperson: Gérald Chaput
In support of a request for science advice from DFO Fisheries and Aquaculture Management, DFO Gulf Oceans and Science Branch will review the status of the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence 4T spring and fall spawning herring stocks.
Assessment of the status of the spring and fall spawning components of herring in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence including:
- Information on catches to the end of 2009, including best estimates of total removals by all fisheries.
- Key indicators of stock status and trends (commercial catch rates and acoustic survey, size and/or age composition, etc.).
- Available information from resource users on recent stock status relative to historical stock levels.
- Evaluation of the appropriateness and results of the population model (Sequential Population Analysis) for spring and fall components.
- Analyses of other key stock status indicators as appropriate.
- Where possible, a quantitative risk analysis of catch options relative to the probability of meeting defined management objectives for these stocks for 2010, as well as for the combined years 2010 and 2011.
- A review of the ecosystem of the southern Gulf and of the changes in the characteristics which may suggest factors related to abundance of spring and fall spawning herring and which would warrant further research. The characteristics reviewed should include the physical and biological features within the southern Gulf.
- CSAS Science Advisory Report for the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence spring and fall herring components – due date March 26, 2010
- CSAS Proceedings summarizing the discussions
- CSAS Research Document(s).
Participation at the meeting may include:
DFO Oceans and Science,
DFO Fisheries and Aquaculture Management