Terms of Reference
Meetings of the Regional Advisory Process for the Quebec Region on Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST)
February 19, 2009
Maurice Lamontagne Institute
850, route de la mer, Mont-Joli, Qc
DFO Quebec Science Branch reviews the status of some Gulf of St. Lawrence invertebrates and groundfish stocks in support of management of the fishery. Fisheries and Aquaculture management has requested a scientific advice on Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST) in 2009.
- Provide scientific advice on the management of the Greenland halibut (turbot) stock in NAFO Divisions 4RST for the 2009 and 2010 fishing season. This advice shall include:
- An assessment of the turbot stock, based on:
- commercial fishery statistics following the 2008 season (overall landing distribution, breakdown by division and fishing gear, yields and catch rates) and biological data resulting from the commercial sampling program (size structure);
- historical data from the DFO research survey up to 2008 (abundance index, biomass, size structure and geographical distribution of catches);
- data of the July mobile sentinel survey (abundance index, biomass, size structure and geographical distribution of catches);
- trends of abundance index and other available stock indicators (fishery, biology, etc.).
- Specific elements related to the production of a scientific advise such as:
- an update of the condition and maturity indicators;
- spatial distribution by size of class;
- Mortality (unaccounted) in relation with soak time from at-sea observers data.
- Presentation of the framework for the precautionary approach
- Identification of indicators to follow the stock status during years without formal stock assessment.
- Perspectives for 2009 and 2010 based on available indicators.
- CSAS Science Advisory Report on Greenland halibut in the Gulf of St. Lawrence (4RST).
- CSAS Proceedings summarizing the discussion.
- DFO Science and Fisheries Management
- Fishing industry
- Provincial representatives
- Aboriginal Communities / Organizations