Comment on modifying the Fisheries Act Applications for Authorization Regulations
Current status: Closed
Opened on April 3, 2019, and will close to new input on May 3, 2019
Feedback is being sought on proposed modifications to the Applications for Authorization under Paragraph 35(2)(b) of the Fisheries Act Regulations (the Applications for Authorization Regulations).
How to participate
Review the discussion paper posted online. Comments can be submitted through email.
Bill C-68, An Act to amend the Fisheries Act and other Acts in consequence, was tabled on February 6, 2018. It proposes to restore lost protections and incorporate modern safeguards to the Fisheries Act to:
- better protect fish and fish habitat
- increase the sustainability of Canadian fisheries
We must be prepared to make regulatory changes to ensure alignment with the proposed changes to the Fisheries Act if they receive Royal Assent. This includes modifying the existing Applications for Authorization Regulations if the proposed changes come into force.
Purpose of feedback
We need your feedback to help us refine the proposed modifications to these regulations.
Who is the focus of this engagement
This discussion paper seeks comments from:
- Indigenous peoples
- municipal, provincial and territorial governments
- other interested parties
- the Canadian public
This paper contains proposed modifications to the Applications for Authorization Regulations. Send us your thoughts on the following topics:
- reflecting new amended provisions that would be part of the Fisheries Act
- amending, suspending or cancelling authorizations
- using certified habitat credits in lieu of, or in addition to offsetting plans
- new forms of acceptable financial security
- requiring geographic coordinates of proposed offsetting measures
- notifying Indigenous communities (alternative approach)
- other changes
- housekeeping changes
- transitional provision
It’s important that you provide input on this discussion paper, as draft regulations will not be pre-published in Part I of the Canada Gazette.The final Applications for Authorization Regulations will be published in Part II of the Canada Gazette if Bill C-68 receives Royal Assent.
- Bill C-68
- A Fisheries Act for the future
- Consultation paper: Approach to a key regulation under the proposed fish and fish habitat provisions of the Fisheries Act (July 6, 2018)
Ecosystem Management Directorate
Mail stop: 10W-085
200 Kent St
Ottawa ON K1A 0E6
- Date modified: