Comparison of an offshore and inshore site for oyster aquaculture
Comparison of an offshore and inshore site for oyster aquaculture using the French string technique in the Baie des Chaleurs, New Brunswick
The primary objective of this study is to assess the performance of oysters suspended on French strings in an exposed offshore environment compared to a sheltered inshore environment with respect to their ability to rapidly attain market size.
We will test the following null hypothesis:
- Shell growth rates of oysters are similar at offshore and inshore sites.
- The reproductive cycle of oysters is similar at offshore and inshore sites.
Specific objectives are:
- To transfer the technology of Mediterranean oyster culture technique (oysters on stings) to an offshore New Brunswick site
- To compare the growth, reproductive condition, survival and market quality, of oysters at an offshore and inshore site
- To compare fouling at an offshore and inshore site
- To monitor the environmental parameters at an offshore site and an inshore site
2009 - 2011
Atlantic: Gulf of Maine, Scotian Shelf
- Date modified: