Aquaculture Activities Regulations
The Aquaculture Activities Regulations (AAR) clarify conditions under which aquaculture operators may install, operate, maintain or remove an aquaculture facility, or undertake measures to treat their fish for disease and parasites, as well as deposit organic matter, under sections 35 and 36 of the Fisheries Act. The AAR allow aquaculture operators to do so within specific restrictions to avoid, minimize and mitigate any potential detriments to fish and fish habitat. The Regulations also impose specific environmental monitoring and sampling requirements on the industry.
These Regulations require aquaculture owners and operators to submit annual reports on their activities to the appropriate Regional Aquaculture Management Office no later than April 1 of the year following the year being reported on. For annual reporting, the AAR Reporting Template may be used to record required information.
As outlined in the Aquaculture Activities Regulations Guidance Document for Owners and Operators, these Regulations also require aquaculture owners and operators to notify Fisheries and Oceans Canada of: their intent to deposit pest control products; any morbidity events they observe; any exceedances of biological oxygen demanding thresholds; and, when they submit an application to a provincial or territorial authority for a new or expanded site.
As knowledge and technology advances, other controls or modifications to existing mitigation and monitoring measures may be needed. This is why Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Environment and Climate Change Canada, and Health Canada are committed to undertake a three-year Science Review to support the Regulations’ implementation.
- AAR Reporting Template - Revised in March 2016
- AAR Reporting Template (PDF 1.05 MB) - Make sure you save this PDF on your desktop before filling it - Revised in March 2016
- AAR Guidance Document for Owners and Operators – Published in July 2015
- AAR Monitoring Standard - Published in July 2015
- AAR Monitoring Standard (PDF 387 KB) - Published in July 2015
- Regional Aquaculture Management Office - Contact List
- Backgrounder - Aquaculture Activities Regulations And Guidance Document – Published in January 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions - Aquaculture Activities Regulations – Published in January 2016
- Date modified: